SailNet Community - View Single Post - Warning on Irwin water tanks
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013

BenMerc is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BenMerc
Re: Warning on Irwin water tanks

Good to know..I have a 76' I 30, (that's more like 37 years ago) the tank appears to be all glass and substantially built under the V-berth also....this boat is built like a mac truck. I think any and all tank(s) as old as our boats needs a survey and brought up to speed, last owner had replaced our fuel tank. That does sound odd your tank was half ply wood, maybe it was an anomaly construction detail flaw to your individual boat...Irwins can be like that, quality control was an issue at times. Even with the filters and a what I have seen of it, 'clean tank' we still bring our drinking water separate. The main thing to remember about Irwins is... if you get a good one in design and construction which there are several, or well designed model you can up-grade, I think they are very good vessels, some of the best for coastal cruising. We almost bought a 10/4 , cool daysailors bay over nighters...but I wanted something I would feel comfortable coast cruising the gulf, so stepped up the size/design. Good luck with your project.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook