SailNet Community - View Single Post - Seachoice anchors
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Re: Seachoice anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblument View Post
Seachoice came up quite a bit as a manufacturer when I was searching Amazon for whistles, visual safety signals, dock lines, etc. I don't know much yet, but I haven't seen their name ANYPLACE else, i.e., at the defender, westmarine, or here on the sailnet store sites. That, in and of itself, was enough to warn me off. Best guess... SeaChoice is probably NOT a viable sea choice. Just guessing.

Barry
Jamestown Distributors sells a large number of products in the Seachoice line; they are hardly a crap vendor. (OTOH they no longer appear to sell these particular anchors, so that might be worth considering.)

We bought the 22# Seachoice Delta/plow from them; ours was roughly made but also has lots of metal in it; decent welds; and an almost absurd amount of zinc. We're okay with it on our 1400# boat.

Bottom of the anchor is awfully flat, and the plow point could be sharper. It takes a bit of jukeing to get its nose in when the bottom is gravel. Once it dives, tho, that sucker is set. Like any plow, it is at its best in hard to soft sand; it will drag thru pure muck.

You'll have to decide the dollars/peace-of-mind calculus for yourself. We're comfortable with the Seachoice on our little boat. We'll buy Manson for the big boat. For those who think perfectly smooth welds, shiny metal, large price tag, or a brand name confers greater quality or security, might I remind you of Rocna's little metallurgy problem? Lots of Rocna owners thought they were smarter than Seachoice owners, too. Never heard of a Seachoice shaft snapping ... have you?

I'll post a couple photos of our anchor this afternoon, if time permits.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook