SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starting my Chrysler 22 Painting Project...Advice welcomed!
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013

Zac Penn is on a distinguished road
Re: Starting my Chrysler 22 Painting Project...Advice welcomed!

I appreciate the warnings and believe me I have too much to loose to work under something that is unstable. As I have said before it is ROCK SOLID and does not have any play. The kickers are holding just fine, the OSB is not deforming.

My dad and I spent five hours today under there with an orbital sander removing the old bottom paint and scratched up the hull paint. Here are some action shots of the old man working it...
This is what it used to look like...

And what we brought it back down to...

It looks like we got all the way to the old gel coat and roughed it up real nice. There were a couple spots were the gelcoat was cracking so we cut them out and sanded the area real well. We are going to use Bondo Fiberglass Resin Jelly to fill the holes then sand them smooth. That is as far as we know what to do so far. This is where you guys can really help us.

West Marine is the only marine store around that i know of and when we went there yesterday we talked to someone and he recommended the following products...
Interlux water barrier
INTERLUX InterProtect® 2000E Barrier Coat System at West Marine
Ablative Bottom Paint
WEST MARINE PCA Gold Antifouling Paint with Irgarol at West Marine
Brightside Precoat
INTERLUX Paint at West Marine
Brightside Paint
INTERLUX Brightside One-Part Polyurethane Paint with Teflon at West Marine

We want to hold onto this boat for at least a couple years and we will be leaving it in the water for hopefully 2 years before having to remove it and recoat the bottom. I want to go with black for the bottom paint and a high gloss white for the hull. Can you please provide me with your recommendations for painting supplies and whether or not primers are really necessary. It looks to me as though the hull has not been painted for a VERY long time because I kept sanding and sanding and the color nor consistency never changed so I figure it was the gelcoat?

I almost forgot...
What is the best prep I can do for the keel? As you can see the rust is coming through the old paint, and sanding it is not going to work do to the deep pits in the lead. I could wire wheel it, but was hoping the bottom paint would stick to it without too much prep work???? Please let me know if I need to get off the pipe hahaha

So sum it up lets please bring the conversation around to painting supplies and not about the boat stands :lol:

Thanks again for your help,
Zac

Last edited by Zac Penn; 08-10-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook