SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteau Oceanis 45;I need your help to select right spec for 2yr world cruise please
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013

Daniels34 is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Beneteau Oceanis 45;I need your help to select right spec for 2yr world cruise please

My wife and I decided to buy a new (or 2012) Beneteau Oceanis 45 to use:[LIST][*]During a 2 year sail trip around the world[*]With wife, 2 kids (3&10) and me[*]We look for a comfortable and safe boat that is relatively fast

I ask your help to select the right specification bearing in mind I have to be able to sail single-handed. Please comment on:
  1. Which sails should we choose? I was thinking: (a) standard 50m2 furing main sail, (b) 50m2 furling genoa (c) kotterfog for heavy winds (d) Beneteau's code 0 and (e) a Parasailor for downwind (suggestions on brand/type are welcome?)
  2. Standard saildrive or POD 90 for easy docking; I am not very experienced and thought the POD 90 was interesting for docking and shallow bays with reefs...
  3. 2 or 3 cabin options; we lean towards 2 cabins as we could use the versatile storage; including for a dishwasher and/or washing machine
  4. Colour of the hull; we really like a break from white and thought the grey/blue is refreshing; would this be an issue thought whenever repairing any damage?
  5. Having read many books on ocean crossings all get damaged in Panama canal, busy Malaysian ports etc. anyone who fitted a thick (10cm) rubber barrier all around the boat? (Maybe crazy suggestion and yes would not win in beauty contest)
  6. Electronics; I specced the full Elegance, Electronic and Docking packs. Missing anything?
  7. Navigation; Elegance and Electronic pack incl autopilot and bowthrusters. What does the optional Simrad NSS7 chart table screen add?
  8. Shallow (1,75m) or normal (2,15) cast iron keel?
  9. Beneteau's Easy Sail worth the money?
  10. We thought NOT to spec the generator as this would only use more of the 200 litres diesel; instead we noted that sailors often have to use the main engine when there is no wind to speak of and we look for advice on fitting solar panels...
  11. Water; 570litres including optional extra 200litres tank doesn't seem a lot for possibly 20 days continued sailing. Any suggestions if enough? Possible to get another 200litres or so instead of the generator?
  12. We thought not to include a watermaker as it is costly and would use a lot of energy?
  13. Prop; we understand that an autoprop is better that a folding prop. Agree? If so maybe spec the normal SailDrive and keep the prop as a spare?
  14. Noted in books that rudders sometimes break in have seas; any thoughts on spares to take or ways to strengthen rudder?
  15. Only one electric flush toilet in case we have no electricity, we can still pump flush #2?
  16. Radar: Simrad 4G as offered any good? Will it warn us at night loud enough about a ship closeby?
  17. Are the electronic navigation maps expensive to obtain? Any thoughts on second hand/older maps to buy?
  18. Where do we best buy our paper back-up maps?
  19. TV 26" with antenna is a EUR 3000 option; seems a lot and do you get any reception anyway? Anyone fitted their own Samsung LED?

Sorry for all the questions, it would help me a lot if even you could answer 1-2. Have been reading LOTS and like to get the spec right straight away

Have already got a Suzumar DS320 with 6bhp Suzuki outboard

Still need to buy sailing outfits, maybe an emergency raft? Any other thoughts are welcome!

Best,
Sander
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook