SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vanishing Seamanship
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Vanishing Seamanship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I'm laughing because my wife said basically the same thing one day when I had anchored in the Exumas. She pointed to one of the little asterisks and said, don't you think we are a little close to that?

I asked her. The water is clear as it can be. Do you see a coral head anywhere near us?
Hey, as long as you're anchored on top of the little "Anchor" symbol on the chart, you're fine :-)

One sees this constantly, of course... I once arrived in Rock Sound, Eleuthera to ride out a strong frontal passage... It's a big, wide open harbor, and the obvious place to be with a strong breeze clocking from SW to N, would seem to me to be tucked up into the NW corner of the bight as far as your draft would allow...

When I came around the point and into the harbor, there were already about 8-10 boats huddled together somewhat on the W side of the harbor, but still seeming fairly exposed... As I inched my way past them to the north, I found I was able to get up into a much more protected spot, considerably further to the N... Next morning after the front had come through overnight, that little fleet was pitching and sailing about wildly in a considerable chop generated by 25-30 knots of breeze, while I was riding fairly quietly in wavelets topping out at about 8 inches...

Wasn't until my second cup of coffee, that it dawned upon me that all those other boats - several of which likely were shallower draft than I, and could have worked their way in much closer to shore - were clustered PRECISELY where Monty & Sarah's little anchor said they should be... :-)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook