Join Date: Aug 2013
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
Re: Chain plates
Yes I do have photos and yes it is connected to the starboard bulkhead that makes up the wall of the V-berth. It is very definitely caused by rotted wood. Water must have been leaking into the area for some time without notice.
I was sailing her in about a 30 k wind with the main only with literally no apparent problems. After about 30 minutes we decided it was perhaps a little too rough for my novice passengers so we lowered the sail and motored about for another 30 minutes before returning to her slip. As I went forward to secure the forward lines I reached up to steady myself grabbing the forward stay and realized that there was no tension on the cable. When I went below to check it was obvious what had happened.
I will try to attach the photos. One is the chainplate attachment looking forward (the one with the bolts clearly visible) and the other is the attachment looking aft.
My intension is to drill holes on both sides of the attachment as close to the inside hull as possible. Then slide a saws all blade in and saw down following the line of the hull until I hit good wood. From there I will use a much longer chain plate to both secure the plate to the good wood and splice a newly configured of wood to what is left of the rib. Then reglass making sure there are no leaks from above. I will also check the other five location as well while I am at it.
Any and all comments are more than welcome.