SailNet Community - View Single Post - Vanishing Seamanship
View Single Post
post #67 of Old 08-11-2013
Re: Vanishing Seamanship

Dean, that was a good post. once in a while I do a docking class here in SD and I'll do senarios like you did with the water bottle. You probably remember the customs dock at the south end of SI. if you do you'll know that half that dock is taken by off duty harbor patrol boats, add in a 80' boat clearing in and there's not much space left.

What I would do is take students over to the dock ( on a not so busy day )and I would use whatever was avalable to mark limits ( boarding steps, Trash can or whatever) I would tell them that this step is a 3 million dollar boat, that trash can was a 7 million dollar boat and we have no insurance, now dock.

It was a fun drill, everyone has a good time and by the end of the 4hrs they were docking a C-32 in a 36+/- foot space, granted in the beginning we did around 60 million in imaginary damage.

1955 Blanchard 51 Custom ( I got a woody )

1974 Ranger 33

Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can change and Rum to accept the things I can't

Last edited by poopdeckpappy; 08-12-2013 at 02:18 AM. Reason: yeah, I know my north from my south.. lol
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome