SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailed Outside - First Time

2K views 18 replies 18 participants last post by  justified 
#1 ·
I know for most everyone here sailing on the ocean for the first time is a very distant memory. Ocean sailing is mentioned so regularly here that it is hardly worth noting. Today was my first time doing it and it was a tremendous experience! A little over one year ago I had never been on a sailboat although it was something that I'd always wanted to do. I took lessons on a Flying Scott on the FL inter-coastal and bought an old 27' O'Day. I've been practicing on the O'Day in the inter-coastal in between paying someone enormous sums of money to almost fix the Atomic 4. Finally the engine is running perfectly and I figured that it was time. My son and I motor sailed through the inlet, cut off the engine and sailed. It was a tremendous experience for me as it has been a goal since I started pursing this hobby. He was quite impressed with it as well. Thanks for reading!

#9 ·
Congrats on your adventure.
But do not sell yourself short; it's a lot harder to sail inside than out. Outside you've almost literally, got all the room in the world, but inside you are confined by so many things, not the least of which is shallow water.

#15 ·
Congrats! And thanx for sharing that first-time magic with us. (BTW, *every* time we go out on the ocean there's a bit of magic, it never gets old)

#18 · (Edited)
wingNwing says it best, that feeling will NEVER get old...

Congrats to you, hope to see you out there next time I go by Lake Worth... Given the incredible number of sailboats concentrated in SE Florida, never ceases to amaze how few one sees out sailing off the Gold Coast, even on the most perfect of days...

Good luck, just stay away from Jupiter Inlet, OK? :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.