SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

My dad was an agro scientist who started out working at a dairy. I once mentioned to him that if I was ever to be a farmer, the only thing I'd want was a dairy farm - lots of cows (I'd have Jerseys) and all that great stainless equipment and so forth.

He told me that owning a dairy farm was the closest thing to legal slavery that still existed - you HAVE to be there twice a day to milk them - NO days off, Ever, NO vacations, Ever, NO rest, Ever.

Oh well - I always liked boats better anyway.

As to bison - my first summer job was at the old Okanagan game farm. They had several female bison and one bull - that thing set a new standard for huge - I'm over 6' and I couldn't see over his shoulder. Their enclosure used telephone poles for fence posts and once he snapped one just by scratching against it.

Seeing one of those gigantic herds on the move 150 years ago must have been absolutely awesome & terrifying. To think that the First Nations hunted them with spears.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.