View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
I really want a cow. I live in dairy farm country and I drive by dairy farms every day. I want some cows. I just don't want to have to do much shovelling. I have the hat already.
I even drive by a Bison farm. Now those are some serious cows.
My grandfather used to tell about when he was a child and his parents had died how he went to live with an uncle on a dairy farm. When he was in the third grade they made him start milking the cows, and he was allowed to go to school only after getting all the work done, he dropped out of school later that year.

He learned to read while on an LST in WWII in the Pacific, he landed at Iwo Jima, Guadalcanal, Saipan, and many others. On his return from the war he went back to work at US Steel, where he later became the supervisor for all of the maintenance crews for all the US Steel plants in the Birmingham/Bessemer Alabama area. He lost a leg on the job there, in an accident caused by someone who was drinking on the job, but a year later he was back at work and retired at age 70. He once told me that working in the dairy was the hardest thing he had ever done, that said a lot coming from someone who had done so many hard things.

I chased cows for a living as a kid, in the summers and later full time for a year, it was cold, hard, nasty work, but it was honest work and it gave me a very different outlook on life. I certainly do not want any cattle these days that are not cut down to a size that fits on the plate, I prefer my cows medium rare.

I do not think that there are many people still alive who truly know what it was like to work cattle on a dairy back around 1900, but the ones of us who know the ones who did do it know that it made for one tough cowboy. It is too bad that we really do not have too many of the old family farms anymore, but I guess the kids that would be working on them are probably glad.