SailNet Community - View Single Post - The danger of GPS as the sole means of navigation.
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: The danger of GPS as the sole means of navigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamonix View Post
Was at a local anchorage yesterday getting ready to return to the marina. Pulled up the anchor, settled behind the wheel, and went to turn on the GPS. Then I thought, " you've been here numerous times, you know the route, you know what buoys to look for, where they are, and where the hazards are, you don't need the GPS ". I turned the GPS on anyway. How's that for being a gutless wonder.
On the contrary, it would be poor seamanship not to have available what is at your disposal, should a sudden need arise for it. I know a familiar anchorage is probably a stretch to make my point, but I do not give extra credit for skippers that just try to prove a point by going dark.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook