SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteau Oceanis 45;I need your help to select right spec for 2yr world cruise please
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013

Daniels34 is on a distinguished road
Re: Beneteau Oceanis 45;I need your help to select right spec for 2yr world cruise pl

Thanks so much Paul for taking the time to answer my detailed and wacky questions!

I understand:

TO KEEP IT SIMPLE (no dishwashers etc)

A kotterfog is actually Dutch for a storm sail. Anyone who has experience with a Parasailor?
Would this be a good alternative for a Spinnaker?

Anyone who does like Beneteau's POD 90 drive?

"Darker hull colors are reported to absorb the heat more and tend to show scratches easier."

Good advice; thought it would be refreshing though to stand out a bit from the thousands of white hulls. Also not sure I would choose teak side boards/decking so a bit of color might lift make the ship more interesting...

Simrad NSS7 chart table screen turns out to allow you to plan your route, read all your ship's info from the comfort of the lounge's chart table

"Shallow draft for the areas where you plan to go."
Does a shallow draft compromise sailing performance/speed or ability to sail sharp on the wind?

"A generator consumes considerably less diesel than the motor while generating the equivalent electrical power"

Never thought of it like this. Maybe it is possible to get a generator fitted as well as 200 litres of additional diesel storage (flexible tanks that can fit any corner of the hull)

OK, so 570 litres of water should be enough and we shower in the sea every now and then...

Anyone who has good experience with a watermaker?
How much power would this use and hence require yet more diesel for the generator regularly?

"Collision alarms are not just a function of a radar system. Radar is great in low visibility but it must be paired with an AIS system to provide the early warning you really want."
Radar can use quite a bit of power and most people leave it off more time than it is on."

I would spec an AIS system anyway. So maybe not buy the RADAR and just keep our eyes open when close to land/smaller vessels?
Is a radar mandatory for the 14m ship anywhere in the world?

General:
We have got our Dayskipper license and live in The Netherlands. I have sailed a lot on small boats but never on the sea and have no practical experience of advanced electronics (as you noticed!)

We would buy the Oceanis 45 and possibly register the boat in Turkey. We would cruise the Mediterranean for at least a year, do all required courses before we would cross the Atlantic...

Thanks again Paul !
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook