SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help unfurling an in mast furling mainsail on a 2008 Hunter 31
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Help unfurling an in mast furling mainsail on a 2008 Hunter 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_sf1 View Post
tdw, controlling the outhaul seemed easy enough until it jammed, I had the outhaul cleat open,it should be open when either furling or unfurling, am I correct,? (wondering now after a review of the post)
Controlling outhaul as you unfurl is not an issue, it is controling the damn thing as you furl. You need to keep some tension on the outhaul as you furl, failure to do so will result in an uneven or loosely furled sail and that is a recipe for jamming when you next try and unfurl. By cleat I presume you mean jammer, if so yes it should be open when unfurling. With a smallish main you can control the outhaul tension as you furl by playing the jammer but this is somewhat difficult as you get up in size.

Quote:
Make sure that you change the lever at the mast from RATCHET to FREE to unfurl the sail.Then open the rope clutches on both of the reefing lines and the outhaul. Pull the outhaul and the sail will come out of the mast.
Close the clutches, go to the mast and put the lever in RATCHET, and fall off the wind.
CB .... why change back to ratchet ? My partner finds it easier to furl by using the mast winch so of course it needs to be on ratchet to do this but if furling and unfurling from the cockpit why would you ever select ratchet. This is not me claiming you are wrong, only that if you are right I'd like to know why because unless working at the mast I never put that winch into ratchet mode.

Cheers

Andrew B

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 08-13-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook