SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newbe with no experience buys big boat
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: Newbe with no experience buys big boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberg View Post
Actually, here is the author's Rosie O'Donnell comparison: "Physically she was on the pudgy side, but it was a dainty sort of female pudgy as opposed to Megan's rough-and-tumble Rosie O'Donnell biker-chick heftiness."

Now, I laughed out loud when I read that part of the book because it painted a picture that even Stevie Wonder could see. In fact, what I think I like the most about the book was Glenn's sharp wit and his blunt sense of humor. The thing Glenn does exceedingly well is to paint a visual picture that the reader can relate to. I still to this day laugh when I imagine a beer-swilling Burt Reynolds peeing over the side every ten minutes. Not that I would love to hang out with a beer-swilling, Lefty-ranting, Burt Reynolds sailor because I probably wouldn't. Then again, he sounded like a pretty okay guy and a good sailor. I spent my formative years dragging guys like that back to the liberty boat to keep them from going to Captain's Mast. But the picture in my mind is perfectly clear. I feel like I've met the guy.

Perhaps it's a personal thing. I don't have to agree with an author to appreciate the story. In the context of a book a character simply is who he is, and that's the point. Whether one finds the character flawed or personally distasteful is beside the point. Let's not turn Glenn into the Marquis de Sade, because that is an example of the same kind of overblown judgemental hyperbole that Glenn is being accused of.

Last edited by ShoalFinder; 08-13-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook