SailNet Community - View Single Post - Considering PSC for family of 4
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Re: Considering PSC for family of 4

This will obviously come out the wrong way, but not sure how else to say it...

Why anyone would buy a PSC or a Valiant to hop around the Chessy or possibly coastal hop to FL or maybe Bermuda is a mystery to me.

They are great boats, but TIGHT down below. Two adults and two teenagers... wow. So you know, I am raising and have raised my children on my boat (one a teenager now) so I have a pretty good idea what space they take up (for cruising at least). I could not comfortably do iton a Crealok 37.

I consider both of those boats a good couples or singles boat, but not one I would choose to take out with a family. Those boats are great go anywhere boats, but you are not going to be crossing oceans, right? WHy not get a boat with more space, comfort, privacy, and newer that may not have as many inherent problem? Quite candidly, the production boats are ideal for what you want to do.

If you look at a PSC, here are things to consider:

Many of the Crealoks had aluminum stanchions. Good friends of ours just replaced theirs for a mere $5000 after one broke and their crew ended up on the dock (and luckily not the water offshore). The track for the car on the cabin top had to be pulled and rebeded. That was a CHORE. Both the compression posts failed. Still in the yard for that one. The forestay pulled the stem plate loose on a crossing to Bahamas. Fixable, but more yard time in the US. They have spent insane amount of money to make that boat (or keep the boat) seaworthy.

If you buy an old Crealok, the theory is you are getting a really well made boat to go anywhere. They are (or were) well made for their time. But the reality is you are now dealing with a very old boat that inherently will have many problems as ALL old boats do. Make sure you are knowledgeable, financially prepared, and mentally ready for those issues. Its not going to be a fun family boat if it is sitting in the yard all the time, or draining your savings every time you turn around, or cramped and uncomfortable for anything more than a short weekend. Ask yourself if you would not be better suited to buy a much newer production boat that would be more comfortable, newer, and hopefully less maintenance issues and costs... even if you have to spend more for it??

Brian

PS I am not being negative on the boats. They have a place and a purpose. I just dont think this is it. BTW, if you buy a V40, many had blister issues. Look into that. THey are a comparable boat, and very well made (again, for their time).

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook