SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Mutiny at Dawn - Transpac Race 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Smack I've stopped racing years ago and have very limited experience but part of my pre race was to show all the crew where all the safety equipment was and review the major systems.knowing where the thru hulls , how to check fresh water volume when the bilge was full and stuff like that . Seemed like a good idea then and probably current racing skippers feel the same. Would think if I got on a boat and did that because skipper did not do a run through first and skipper was offended I would hope I would have enough sense to pick up my sea bag and leave.
I totally agree. The skippers of the boats I've raced on did just that - take us crew through everything very thoroughly in the shakedown sails before the races. That's good skippering.

The reason I bring this up is that a few have criticized these guys for not going through all this stuff on their own - trusting that the skipper had done his job. On the one hand, they're right. It's your life and your responsibility.

On the other hand, I can pretty much guarantee that there are plenty of very good, experienced skippers, who may not have taken the time to do what you lay out above prior to the race, who would definitely be offended if you, the new crew, started tearing things apart for your stamp of approval.

It's just a much more difficult call than many want to conclude.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook