SailNet Community - View Single Post - Minn Kota Endura C2 30 $99
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Minn Kota Endura C2 30 $99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstuller View Post
I've been using the C30 on my inflatable for several months to get to my mooring and it has done fine. Am using a 35 AH U1 AGM battery. It's light weight (23#?) and and there's no acid to spill. Will soon experiment with a 15 watt panel from Harbor Freight (with a cheap controller) to see if it will keep the battery charged. Since the dink is idle most of the time hopefully the panel will save me the trouble of recharging the battery on shore. Thanks.
A 15 amp panel puts about 1 amp at peak sun. Around here that would mean 5 days to top off a 35 amp battery that was drawn below 50% of it's capacity (maybe 45 minutes of full throttle or 2-1/2 hours of 8 amp draw).

A 50 watt panel seems more practical for cruising. On my boat I think I'd charge it off an echo charger, then it could also be charged from the sailboat's alternator. This is sounding like a pretty good alternative to my 2hp Honda (which I have to run pretty close to idle speeds anyway). What does a salt water rated electric outboard cost?