SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Get the 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
and blow away everyone of those boats. The thing (10M) is a tank yet goes like a scalded dog. My mooring neighbor has a Catalina 30. He leaves the mooring 5 minutes before we do under motor then starts sailing when he gets about 300 yards away. We leave our mooring under sail and catch him within 10-15 minutes.

Not many boats in it's size range, with it's roominess, and sailing characteristics going to touch it with re: performance. Often you'll have to go up in length/size or much newer design to touch her. For a boat that can be bought for around 15K well equipped, it's a real bargain if you want a fast, comfy, cruiser/racer.

The draft isn't really a factor. In the Chessy, unless your draft is <5 ft, your not really going to be gunk holeing anyway.
Well it's all about balance and priorities isn't it?

How do you want to use the boat? The Pearson 10M and the Catalina 30 are at opposite ends of the cruiser/racer spectrum and targeted toward very different sailors.

We live aboard every weekend and I can tell you the 10M wouldn't work for us. But then our sailing style is more about relaxed cruising. If you sailed past us I'd wave and smile, spread some more crab dip on a cracker and go back to discussing how bad the Eagles will be this season. You wouldn't hurt my feelings at all

To the OP, I still say the best way to find a boat is to get your spouse and go boat shopping. Getting on board is the only way to figure out what's right for you.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook