SailNet Community - View Single Post - Minn Kota Endura C2 30 $99
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Minn Kota Endura C2 30 $99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
A 15 amp panel puts about 1 amp at peak sun. Around here that would mean 5 days to top off a 35 amp battery that was drawn below 50% of it's capacity (maybe 45 minutes of full throttle or 2-1/2 hours of 8 amp draw).

A 50 watt panel seems more practical for cruising. On my boat I think I'd charge it off an echo charger, then it could also be charged from the sailboat's alternator. This is sounding like a pretty good alternative to my 2hp Honda (which I have to run pretty close to idle speeds anyway). What does a salt water rated electric outboard cost?
The salt water motor is about $300.

At $99 the motor pretty much becomes a throw away, I've put more $$ than that into parts for the #$%@$% 3.5hp 2 stroke Tohatsu this season already.

The way I'm looking at is electric motors are improving by leaps and bounds. If I can get three seasons of light use out of the little sucker I'm ahead of the game and there will be something better/cheaper on the market when I'm ready to replace it.

I called Dick's today and they have one in stock. $15 more than Amazon but I can pick it up tonight and no shipping costs.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook