SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Re: Get the 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Well it's all about balance and priorities isn't it?

How do you want to use the boat? The Pearson 10M and the Catalina 30 are at opposite ends of the cruiser/racer spectrum and targeted toward very different sailors.

We live aboard every weekend and I can tell you the 10M wouldn't work for us. But then our sailing style is more about relaxed cruising. If you sailed past us I'd wave and smile, spread some more crab dip on a cracker and go back to discussing how bad the Eagles will be this season. You wouldn't hurt my feelings at all

To the OP, I still say the best way to find a boat is to get your spouse and go boat shopping. Getting on board is the only way to figure out what's right for you.
Why wouldn't a 10M work for you aside from maybe the draft (5' 11") too deep for some parts of Barnegat Bay? It has all the creature comforts of a Catalina 30, just larger. It's not a race boat by any means. I can sleep 5+ on real berths, have a two burner stove, full enclosed head with shower, fold down table, lockers, etc. While my 10M doesn't have an oven, some do. I have an decent sized ice box.

And while some folks always say, it isn't always about the speed, to which I mostly agree with, I could argue because I can sail more efficiently (less wind for same speed), I do more sailing than motoring.

The OP said he wanted 10M, but had concerns about it's draft for the Chessy. My point was that unless he gets a boat <5' for a draft to allow him more anchoring areas in the Chessy, a boat that is 5' 3" isn't really any different than one that is say 5' 9" for that purpose. So if he'sgoing to get a boat with a draft over 5', get the one that he already has his eye on.