SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Get the 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
Why wouldn't a 10M work for you aside from maybe the draft (5' 11") too deep for some parts of Barnegat Bay? It has all the creature comforts of a Catalina 30, just larger. It's not a race boat by any means. I can sleep 5+ on real berths, have a two burner stove, full enclosed head with shower, fold down table, lockers, etc. While my 10M doesn't have an oven, some do. I have an decent sized ice box.

And while some folks always say, it isn't always about the speed, to which I mostly agree with, I could argue because I can sail more efficiently (less wind for same speed), I do more sailing than motoring.

The OP said he wanted 10M, but had concerns about it's draft for the Chessy. My point was that unless he gets a boat <5' for a draft to allow him more anchoring areas in the Chessy, a boat that is 5' 3" isn't really any different than one that is say 5' 9" for that purpose. So if he'sgoing to get a boat with a draft over 5', get the one that he already has his eye on.
DrB, Just wanted to chime in here. Anything over 5 feet is going to limit you in Barnegat. And 5'11" is really pushing it to unusable in most of the bay. While there are parts of the bay that are over 12 feet deep, more of it is between 6 and 8, with large areas of 5 and 6 feet. Many of the marina's, even sailboat marinas, can't handle more than 5 feet of keel.

Last edited by TJC45; 08-13-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook