SailNet Community - View Single Post - Slow Racing or Fast Cruising?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Slow Racing or Fast Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I think many cruisers like to race against other sailboats. Yesterday I sailed out from a beach at the same time than one of the new HR 415, the wind was strong (about 20K with gusts higher) and son it was obvious that we were racing. My boat is a powerful one and as my wife is a bit scared with heeling I was sailing very conservatively ( second reef in and the Genoa a bit reefed). Even so we were doing 7.5K/8.5K at a broad reach, about the same speed of the HR, a fast boat with medium to high winds on a broad reach.

Then we went close upwind with very strong gusts and two to three meters waves (doing 6.5K to 7.5K) and soon it was clear that the HR was not a mach. Its angle was much worse and the boat was slower. After one hour the HR was a little spot and it changed course and disappeared while we made it to our destination, Monemvasia, an wonderful place. Check it on the google.

So, what is the problem with a bit racing while cruising?

Regards

Paulo
I was hoping you'd chime in here Paulo. Your "Interesting Boats" thread does a great job of dealing with this question from the boat design perspectiove (and looks to be on track to be SN's 1M-View thread - very impressive).

Here's to leaving HRs on the horizon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook