SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain plates
Thread: Chain plates
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Chain plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthlessrider View Post
OK, I don't claim to be all that knowledgable on marine terminology, so just to make sure I know what everyone is talking about, can someone define bulkhead, please? To me a bulkhead is a walled barrier between compartments, such as the barrier between the head and the V-berth. The chain plate seems to be not anchored to the bulkhead, but to one of the boats ribs (my term). So the boat would have a wooden rib helping to form the plane of the hull, sandwiched by the chain plate, covered by epoxyed fiberglass. Wrong?
Your definition of bulkhead is fine.

I can't make out what the rib is that you are talking about but it don't matter much. One way or another you have to chop out rotten stuff and replace it. Working with epoxy is well documented in the west systems site.
If you put it back together with solid wood and epoxy and do the 8 to 1 bevel it you want to do any patches it should be as strong as new.

I wouldn't do anything like this myself without at least having one book.

This is good one.

Amazon.com: Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual: Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair, Sailboat Refinishing, Sailbo (9780071462846): Don Casey: Books Amazon.com: Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual: Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair, Sailboat Refinishing, Sailbo (9780071462846): Don Casey: Books

If you don't know about this stuff you can do something that will make sense at the time but will cause the repair to fail, and you may not be so lucky the second time.

Last edited by davidpm; 08-13-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook