SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Get the 10M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
Why wouldn't a 10M work for you aside from maybe the draft (5' 11") too deep for some parts of Barnegat Bay? It has all the creature comforts of a Catalina 30, just larger. It's not a race boat by any means. I can sleep 5+ on real berths, have a two burner stove, full enclosed head with shower, fold down table, lockers, etc. While my 10M doesn't have an oven, some do. I have an decent sized ice box.
DrB you asked so please take this as comparing differences not criticizing your boat.

We spent a fair bit of time looking at different boats before deciding the C30 was the best boat for us. We wanted a boat that wasn't a slug but had a comfortable motion. Shallow draft (3'10") for Barnegat Bay and would be comfortable living aboard every weekend and occasionally for a week or more. The boat should also have good resale value if we decided to go to something larger at some point.

Comparing Pearson 10M's on yachtworld to our boat a couple of things jumped out at me. First the 5'11" draft would really limit us on the Barnegat. It's not at all unusual for us to be sailing with only 18" under our keel 4' keel. It's also not unusual for us to bump bottom.

Cockpit. Our cockpit is roomier, with an open transom and stern seats that are a favorite for my wife and guests. On our boat the traveler is on the cabin top and the wheel is at the back of the cockpit. On the 10M both the traveler and the wheel block the companionway. It makes tweaking the main sheet and handling your jib lines a bit easier than ours but would drive me crazy living aboard and squeezing past them (I'm a big dude). Do I lose a couple of seconds when I have to set the autopilot and go forward to adjust the traveler? Yep, but for our style of sailing that's OK.

Ground tackle. Our anchor lives in a bow roller making anchoring easier. All lines are run to the cockpit, so you don't have to go to the mast to raise/lower the sail or to reef.

Belowdeck. We have an "L" shaped settee that I've enlarged. It gives us plenty of room to stretch out and comfortable corners to curl up with a book or watch TV. The interior of the 10M with the parallel bench seats (and sea berths above the settees?) seems much tighter, though you actually have 2" more beam. The usable room in the 10M salon seems more comparable in size to my friend's 28 O'Day. But if those are sea berths they make perfect sense for a race crew.

The galley is also a big difference. Ours is big enough to cook real meals and we have an oven that can cook a warm stew on chilly fall day. The 10M galley seems more suited to re-heating meals for the on deck crew.

Like I said just different priorities.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook