SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1960-1970's Wind Direction Indicator
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013

CanadaDryGingerAle is on a distinguished road
1960-1970's Wind Direction Indicator

Good evening everyone,

I've been searching up and down the internet for some information regarding a wind direction indicator created or distributed by M. C. Stewart Co.

This company is no longer in business, probably for a couple decades now, I've tried searching anything I can about this company and their products. Sadly I cannot find even the slightest bit of info besides the address and phone number which no longer works.

However, I did find a picture of the wind direction indicator box I currently own, it can be found by going to this link and word searching "M. C. Stewart"

Hawaii: Perspectives on Hamakua History: Ramblings Through an Ancient Land ... - Prosper Quentin Tomich - Google Books.

The picture is Figure 5.

For a better description, This box is stained and encases a 9 bulb system that lights up through telephone / telegraph signals. The 8 bulbs that circle on this case references North, North-East, East, South-East, etc. This box I'm also guessing is the Receiver end of the whole system.

The 9th bulb is in the middle and I'm assuming it tells you if it's on/off.
I've read that it can also predict rainfall.

It's been stamped on the back as well as the front "Made in U.S.A, M. C. Stewart Ashburnham Mass

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by CanadaDryGingerAle; 08-13-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook