SailNet Community - View Single Post - Piracy
Thread: Piracy
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Unfortunately, I am not very good at keeping articles, but I have been hearing just the opposite. Off the cast of Africa or something, it is the commercial ships (and seems curiously well planned), but in the Carribean, I have been reading many instances of piracy of private yachts off of Venezueal, Tortola, la Margarita, and other islands down south. The incidents on the US coasts and Bahamas are as low as ever... but elsewhere I have read many articles on the increasing piracy of yachts. There was even a large writeup in CW, Ocean Nav, or Latt & Att (I cannot remember which) just recently on the dangers of cruising Venezuela. If you think about it, a typical cruiing boat will easily have 20k worth of gear on board, they typically are not armed, and have small crews. Easy targets that can dissapear.

I did not mean this to sound allarming to anyone; I am not alarmed, just curious if others have felt the increasing trend of piracy as of late.

- CD

PS Mark my words: If/when Chavez makes Venezueal another little USSR or Cuba, it will really get bad.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook