SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteau Oceanis 45;I need your help to select right spec for 2yr world cruise please
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013
Puget Sound Pounder

kellysails is on a distinguished road
Re: Beneteau Oceanis 45;I need your help to select right spec for 2yr world cruise pl

I have a 2012 B45, hull #26

We plan to get our boat to the Caribbean in 2-3 years. We are learning quite a bit about the boat even though we have 20 years of sailing experience. You should get at least 2 years of local sailing with it prior to heading out. Since it is a new boat, MANY MANY things will break in the first year under warranty. You may want to pick up some certifications from like RYA or similar organization in your country. Your families lives will depend on your experience and training.

Below are just my thoughts.

We went with a conventional main and had them change out the half battens for full battens. We had them install a Tides Marine tough track system to help raising and lowering the main. We have an electric winch for the halyard, it makes raising it a snap. I like conventional sails mostly from a safety view point. We had a roller main get stuck in Greece once and it was very very scary. The added performance of a conventional is a bonus but not the reason we went that way. We have a large asym spinnaker with an ATN sock. Very easy for the two of us to handle. While I would love a parasailor it is too much for a two person crew IMHO.

Don't waste the money on a POD system. Get a good folding prop like MaxProp 4-blade and bow thruster and you are good to go anywhere.

We went with the 2 cabin version and we are EXTREMELY glad we did. You will need that storage space. Our friends have a 3 cabin and they struggle for storage space.

The Simrad package is great. I would go with Simrad GoFree wifi tablet system for the cabin. The B45 does not have a traditional nav table so the GoFree is perfect. We also love our Navionics Platinum+ charts, fantastic. I did add an IS20 for the cabin, I use it occasionally.

Personally I would go with the longest keel you can get. It really does help going to weather.

Do you mean the POD easy sail system, it was a $15K option, no way, not needed

I have the two fuel tank option. A third tank was not an option when I inquired about it. Yes, not great tankage at all.

We went with with an add-on 210amp Balmar alternator for the house bank. Planning to add two D400 wind generators and 120 watts of solar panels. Our electrical system is split completely in two banks (house and engine). Each bank has its own alternator and charger.

We will be adding a 14 gallon per hour water maker. Again, with a 2 cabin version, a ton of space to add one.

Toilet, we did exactly that. A Vacuflush System in forward head and a standard in the midships head. Don't go with factory electric toilet as it is poor. Have the yard put in a Vacuflush, very nice.

We have the 3G radar and it is exceptional. The best I have ever used on a sailboat. But I hear the 4G is pretty amazing, might be worth the extra cost. I don't think the cost difference is very much.

This is where we mounted our 24 inch lcd. It is on an arm that swings out. Then we have hook and loop connectors to keep it in place.

One thing we added latter was a washdown system for the anchor. I put it in myself but you should make sure you have the yard add it at time of commissioning.

And here is Kairos. We love this boat it is awesome!!!!!!!!!!! We are on it all the time.

Last edited by kellysails; 08-14-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook