SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA Exams
Thread: ASA Exams
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road
Re: ASA Exams

CaribDream-

We are looking to do something like this this winter, who did you use? PM me the details if you don't want to say in the open forum.

Thanks!

Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribDream View Post
My wife and I did ASA Basic Keelboat, Coastal Cruising, and Bareboat Charter certs this year. We chose a school that specialized in couples, and lived aboard with out instructors. It was a great help that we were the only students, and because we studied very diligently for a few months before going it helped immensely. I do not believe we could have passed had we not done all the study work ahead of time.

We sailed with our instructors from Miami to Islamorada, and everything was 100% hands on. Lectures were done either before we made way in the morning, or during longer sails. We typically sailed and drilled different skills 8 hours a day with nice breaks at lunch. The best part about this style of school for me was that my wife and I didn't have to share hands-on time or instructor time with other students. Also, we covered lots more than just the ASA coursework as we got to address lots of live aboard questions we had that were specific to our personal situation.

If you can find a school like this, I would HIGHLY recommend it. We felt that it was worth every penny we spent and more.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook