SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA Exams
Thread: ASA Exams
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 08-15-2013
CaribDream

One other thing, the school we chose had a "no yelling" policy. This was invaluable for calming my wife's worries and keeping our instruction less stressful. My background tends to make me more used to getting yelled at, my wife - not so much. And to be truthful, I very much appreciated the no yelling policy too. Our instructor was 110% upbeat, calm, and encouraging. I asked him how he stayed so level headed with students at the helm of his boat. His reply - "Part of my job is making sure I never put you in a situation that I don't feel confident that you are fully capable of handling. You might feel unsure in your ability when you try something the first time, but I make sure you have learned the skills needed before I introduce something new. I'll slow down if I ever feel you aren't fully getting it."

This stuck with us, and eased our anxiety and fears of messing up. In hindsight, finding the right instructor seems super important.

Go sailing now my brother,
It's later than you think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome