SailNet Community - View Single Post - Previous owner wants property tax credit?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Previous owner wants property tax credit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imasaluki View Post
...To the other chap talking about a lien being filed on the boat... couldn't this be cleared up with the county with your bill of sale or title showing your date of purchase?...
Possibly. Hire a lawyer and you can clear up almost any problem. It's just that as a practical matter it may be less expense to split the tax bill now to avoid the possibility of a lien placed on his boat later. OP can take his chances, but it may be a pay me now or pay me later situation.

If OP used a contract that has language to cover this, then there's an argument to follow the contract. But if a broker was involved this probably would not have happened at all, so I have a feeling that the YBAA agreement is irrelevant. Perhaps OP can tell us what language was in his purchase agreement.

But for all you guys advising to play hardball, remember that the seller might just be "holding the stronger hand" in this case. Of OP gets the seller mad, and the seller decides to play hardball by simply not paying the bill, it's the OP who may end up with a lien on his boat. This is not a legal opinion, just my hypothesis of a worst case scenario.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook