SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA Exams
Thread: ASA Exams
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolatom:1074326
I teach Basic Keelboat part-time.

The test is pretty straightforward if you've studied the book, and especially the questions at the end of each chapter.

I think each instructor has their own style, and students have their own learning style too. I tend to follow the "let's sail first, then you'll see afterward that the book is 'right'" approach, with a minimum of initial chalk-talk. the boat makes a better "blackboard", and you avoid "MEGO"*

*("my eyes glaze over")

Good luck and enjoy the moment, whether afloat underway, at the dock, or ashore with the book.
I like your approach. But then again as you said everyone has their own learning style. While I like your idea, for me personally I'm not sure I would have understood why/what I was learning during the onboard sailing training had I not studied so much in advance. On the contrary, I did fight the "MEGO" on some topics, and they were not clear until the hands-on sailing. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Key is to match the instructor style to the student style I think.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook