SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sail Cover Material
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Sail Cover Material

I concur with most of what has been said with a couple additional side notes.
-I typically have my sail covers cut with perhaps 3-4 extra inches on the skirt so that there is better ventilation for those days when you have not choice but to ride hard and put it away wet.
-I typically have a patch of the mesh used for trampolines on multihulls stitched into the inside of the sail cover at the top of the 'boot' so the headboard does not chafe through the sail cover cloth.
-I typically have a flap stitched between the zipper and the mast so the mast and zipper do not abrade against each other, and a second flap that velcro's over the zipper so that the zipper does not UV degrade. (I used to need to replace the zippers every 3 years or so.)
-The sail cover minimally needs to be 4-6 inches short of the length of your boom so you have room to stretch it tight so it sheds rain.
- I like to have a seam that runs the length of the top of the sail cover where the majority of stress occurs.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook