Thread: ASA Exams
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013

Location: surrounded by three small children and 2 dachshunds + foster doxies
windwalker is on a distinguished road
Re: ASA Exams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamsailor View Post
His reply - "Part of my job is making sure I never put you in a situation that I don't feel confident that you are fully capable of handling. You might feel unsure in your ability when you try something the first time, but I make sure you have learned the skills needed before I introduce something new. I'll slow down if I ever feel you aren't fully getting it."

This stuck with us, and eased our anxiety and fears of messing up. In hindsight, finding the right instructor seems super important.

This quote is a very important item. I am an ASA Sailing Instructor/Licensed Master. This instructor, whom ever he is, is 100% correct. The key to learning sailing is:

1) Read/Study all the text you are given BEFORE going to class;
2) Enjoy the adventure; and
3) Having the right instructor.[/QUOTE]

My spouse has very little sailing experience, whereas I was raised sailing.

I read the new ASA basic book before starting classes, and found it difficult to start sailing lessons prior to at least taking the keelboat class. I really didn't have enough sailing vocabulary to make it worthwhile. At the current time, I am studying for the exam and then researching the individual items that I am struggling with, such as weather helm (part of which may be a combination of my father's sailing style and the boat's rigging being set for solo sailing).

Our sailing school also employs the no yelling rule.

E
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook