SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learning to sail w/o water....
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013

Chilton0585 is on a distinguished road
Learning to sail w/o water....

Or at least not much water.

Hello, I am a new member to sailnet, and have recently started saving for my very own boat. That said, I know jack about sailing. I mean, I know the different kinds of keels, rigs, and a few other basic things anyone cane pick up reading these forums. I've also picked up the book "20 affordable sailboats to take you anywhere!" on my kindle.

That said, I am going to be staying in Sulfur, KY. And I think the biggest body of water near there is Lake Jericho. Can I learn to sail on a tiny little lake? Can anyone recommend some books to read? I'd really like to learn the parts of the boat before I go do any courses, so when someone says "check the winches!" I don't **** my head sideways at the nearest ladies backside.

I think I've gotten as far as I can just reading the forums, googling, and watching youtube videos. Opinions fly all over the place, and every boat I research, I go find one near me here in Chicago at the moment, and do a little tour. I feel in love with a Bayfield 29 here in Winthrop Harbor, did some research, found it was a good offshore boat, then read these forums where Jeff H said poop on the bayfield (im paraphrasing). So I looked into some more, did some research online. The Bristol 29.9 is sexy and seems to be great! Jeff H pooped on that too. So I am at a loss, I need some facts, reccomend me some books, some websites, anything. I am hungry for knowledge!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook