SailNet Community - View Single Post - 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013

Rick486 is on a distinguished road
Re: 70' Hylas grounded, dismasted in Penobscot Bay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
I tend to look at these types of incidents in aviation terms. An area where crew dynamics has been well studied. In those term if this guy had been a professional pilot at any level ,flew the same category plane for four years, in the same region, he would be considered highly experienced. Are there pilots with two or three times the experience? Yup!!! Does that count for anything? Maybe. If the four year pilot bought the farm because something from the realm of you don't know what you don't know finally caught up with him, then yeah, it counts for a lot. But most likely, any pilot at that level who reaches the ground before they reach the airport, it's a human factors crash. A fancy way of saying he(they) effed up. Of course sometimes mechanical failure plays a role.

No doubt many here know a lot more about the rarified air world of high end charter captains than i do. But, relying on my ages old aviation experience, i can educate a guess that a mind not on the business at hand can end with similar results between the two. Or, in the words of the captain of ill fated Eastern Flight 401 10 seconds before impact "Hey, i think we did something to the altitude!" Did something to the altitude? Indeed!
Aviate,,,,navigate,,,,,communicate. I remember that Eastern accident. Nobody was aviating at the time.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook