SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rotten Luck - Stays & Dinghy Question
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013

Location: surrounded by three small children and 2 dachshunds + foster doxies
windwalker is on a distinguished road
Question Rotten Luck - Stays & Dinghy Question

It's been a really rough week. Dad and I were working on Windwalker after I winched him up the mast only to find that the mast light cover was completely seized (light is out). So he couldn't put on the RWI I had requested, either.

On the way down, he inspected the shrouds and stays. We found a broken lower shroud (starboard), so he took it off and the rigger repaired it. After I winched him up, again, to put the newly repaired lower shroud back on, I noted that another lower starboard shroud had a cable break. Lucky me, up I went to take it off.

Rigger repaired, winched dad up and he put it on.

Monday we took Windwalker out to the open ocean and on the way back, I look up and say a mouthful of expletive deleteds, as the backstay had a popped strand of cable curling up. First appointment with rigger is Wednesday, so we'll motor her over.

Rigger will check the remaining stays, and see if he can get the light cover off and put on the RWI. At this point, mom says all remaining stays should be replaced. 1979 C&L Explorer 36'. Dad says this is overkill. We typically sail with my 3 little kids. What say you?

I am on the verge of just rigging out the dinghy and taking the 2 year old along for the ride, just to get some time on the water. I haven't sailed on a Sunfish sized boat since I was 7 though.

Elizabeth
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook