SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pilothouses (good for wife?) bright and airy
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pilothouses (good for wife?) bright and airy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrd22 View Post
My wife won't even let me look at a conventional sailboat after having almost 360 degrees of visibility from the main salon and the galley. You give up some living room in a pilothouse, the width is limited to the inside of the side decks instead of the full width of the hull. The upside is that that space becomes storage (at least in our boat) so there is plenty of room for everything that you never could find a place for before. The Nauticats are excellent boats, although as TD said, the 33 won't have great sailing performance compared to some of their other models like the 39, etc.
If your pilot house is not too high, you can still run the counters under the side decks.
After years of sitting out in an open cockpit in the driving rain, I think a cruising boat without a pilot house is "masochistic insanity." It's also bad seamanship. Being exposed to the elements over time can cloud ones judgement. We call our boats "Pleasure Boats" and there is little pleasure in an open cockpit in bad weather.
Pilot houses have nothing to do with motor sailing. Some boats with pilothouses dont have motors. Pilothouses are not motors!