SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bolt on Keel
Thread: Bolt on Keel
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Bolt on Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I have never seen an encapsulated keel that anyone would regard as "failed" or loose even with voids detectable on the sides.
You may never have seen a failed encapsulated keel but the ballast keel on my familiy's Vanguard ended up near the sea wall at Fort Totten and the rest of the Vanguard and its encapsulation envelope ended up at the bottom of the East River. When I worked at Direcktors a Cheoy Lee was brought in on a salvage barge with the bottom of its encapsulation keel sheered where he missed the entrance to Gvt cut. Most of the ballast was gone there too.

But I have also seen bolt on keels with bad keel bolts so I also know this is a matter of pick your poison.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook