SailNet Community - View Single Post - Learning to sail w/o water....
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Learning to sail w/o water....

There is a lot of good advise here, including my esteemed colleague's joke, "First Lesson: Don't listen to Jeff H". For one thing I tend to be very relativistic in my views of different designs, so while I think the small Bayfields are pretty crumby boats by any standard, in and of itself the Bristol 29.9 is not a bad boat. My criticism of the Bristol 29.9 is that it falls short on a lot levels compared to other designs by Halsey Herreshoff, whose work I genuinely admire, and it falls short of other designs of a similar length from this period which can be bought for a similar price such as the Bristol 33/34 or Tartan 30.My gripes with the Bristol 29.9 are my gripes with many boats of that era in that they are tender, have harder than ideal sail plans to handle, and they are not so good on a reach or run.

But if you found one in nice shape and the design appealed to you personally, that may be all that counts since you will be the person who owns and sails her, not I.

But all that said, there is great advice above about starting smaller and simpler. Also the cheapest way to learn is to sail with others. Get some experience under your belt and you won't need any of us to tell you what the right boat for you truly will be.

Just hang in there and enjoy the ride.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-16-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook