SailNet Community - View Single Post - Considering PSC for family of 4
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013

jim2ksb is on a distinguished road
Re: Considering PSC for family of 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
The track for the car on the cabin top had to be pulled and rebeded. That was a CHORE.
But the reality is you are now dealing with a very old boat that inherently will have many problems as ALL old boats do.
One nice thing about the Pacific Seacraft is that the removable headliners let you get to every part of the deck so you CAN rebed deck hardware. Try that on a most production boats. Their fiberglass liners make it impossible to work on deck fittings without cutting large holes in the liner to access whatever it is you want to fix.

I've owned Catalina, Hunter, and Pacific Seacraft, and I have to say that I found the space vs. quality tradeoff of the PS well worth it for me. If you compare a PS to other boats of a similar age, I think you will find that Pacific Seacrafts age well because they were well-built to start with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb View Post
Presently, we sail a 2005 Hunter 36. Volume down below is nice, but with the beam carried aft, the stern is basically flat. When broad reaching or running, the waves overtaking the stern cause a bit of uncomfortable ride (pitch, yaw, roll, repeat).
I've found that the ride on our PS34 is just so much smoother than other boats I've sailed. I've sailed boats with higher and lower D/Ls and higher and lower "comfort factors" and it doesn't seem to matter. The designer, Bill Crealock, wanted the boat to be kind to her crew when sailing, and he really nailed it.

That being said, it's true that any of the Crealock models with canoe stern and narrow beam are going to be much smaller inside than boats shaped like your Hunter 36. You may even find that the PS40 feels smaller down below than your H36. So it depends on your priorities. If below decks space is what is most important, and if you are doing mostly Chesapeake cruising with the rare trip offshore, then you may be better off sticking with something like what you already have, and making judicious upgrades to make that boat capable of the rare offshore trip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook