SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Elan 320: can you improve on a great little boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAndersB View Post

Let's see if they can keep weight down. 350 was too heavy.

Regards
Anders
And there you have the new 360, a MKII of the 350:

They anounce about the same savings in weight regarding the 350 but it is still too heavy. I mean the boat is not more heavy than the competition (mass market performance cruisers) but the boat looks more aggressive than the others and I for the looks we would say that the boat can plan with a reasonable amount of wind (14 or 15K) like the Pogo.

Well no, I don't think so. The boat weights too much and 20, more probably 25K are needed to bring it and maintain it on planning speeds, assuming a boat not charged. So it will only plan while racing, given the right circunstances. Few cruisers will sail by choice with 25K of wind and if so they will do it with a defensive sail set up, so no planing at all.

By the way I am at a bay in Kimolos bay waiting that Meltemi to blow away. On the bay there are 25 to 35K and no way I can convince my wife into sailing to the next Island. Too uncomfortable for her and I don't think it is only for her since I am here at a day and a half with plenty boats taking shelter and I don't see a single boat sailing on the horizon (the ones that come arrive motoring even if I arrived sailing). So, planning on a Elan 360 while cruising with a short crew...I doubt very much.

Anyway, it is a great and fast performance cruiser and I like it.

Here the test with the previous model (MKI), the 350:

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 08-17-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook