SailNet Community - View Single Post - Noob wonderings and questions about sailing, life at sail and sailboats
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Van
Just read the tread.

Three weeks on the ocean in a small yacht is not that hard I did it in 2000, sailed a Roberts 45 from Freemantle to Sydney. Big seas in the Great Southern Ocean they really seem big when they first arrive, then you sort of get into a rythem after a few more days their not that bad at all, you can trim the boat or set the course off a few points and get some comfort back, dont try cooking a roast, stick with staples. I tried a sponge cake 4" thick one side 1" the other. Thats another story.

With your lack of sailing try chartering with a skipper you'll be amased how much you will learn.

I've got thousands of sea miles under the belt and I must admit I get sea sick at the start of every long voyege normaly kicks in after 24Hrs can't eat much but you have to keep on going. get some sleep and one time you wake up feeling seedy but thats it no more calling for ralf.

one thing with being sea sick is when you think you cant hurl any more, you can.!!

You have some great boats in the US at good prices. Ive been doing some reserch as I am without boat at the moment, and considering many of yours at the moment one of the best buys might be an Endeavour 37 fits the bill for an ocean crossing, plenty of fuel and water tankedge and when in Australia perfect for day and coastal work should be an easy short or single hander.

Was looking towards the C 38, would do the crossing but short on tankadge and internal access to the important bits is poor most seemed heavely raced.

If you are positive you want to sail, 34 to 38 seem to give the best of both worlds with space, storage and cost.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook