SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Do marina liveaboards dump their s@!^ in the river?

To respond specifically to TF's question about what may be happening in HIS marina, I posit the following hypothesis:

The broken down boats with um...mentally questionable residents are most likely (but not 100% certainly) dumping/pumping overboard.

The boats with regular joe's are less likely, but may be pumping overboard. If they are, they are probably doing it infrequently, just until they can get to a pumpout, or have a "honey dipper" boat visit them.

Speaking as someone who lived aboard for around 6 months last year, I have a 5 gallon holding tank. Just enough for weekending, basically. I never pumped solid material overboard. Not once. I did however, make occasional, liquid deposits off of the finger dock, at night, when I was certain no one was watching. I know that many of the single males followed this practice.

The bath house was at the end of my dock, and my marina was small. I believe that this convenience helped keep fecal matter out of the water.

My sinks drain overboard, so I definitely discharged grey water from dish washing. I used no/low phosphate soaps in an attempt to be environmentally friendly.

Hope that helps answer your question.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook