SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delta Anchor won't set.
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013
Retired Naval Architect

Roger Long is on a distinguished road
Re: Delta Anchor won't set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner62 View Post
The question now is whether to replace with a Lewmar Delta.
I used a 22 lb Delta for six years from Halifax, NS to Coco, FL and was very happy with it. 32 foot sailboat, boat length of chain, and nylon rode. I only dragged in very soft bottoms.

However, I just got a 25 lb Mantus and it's a whole new world. I don't have enough experience with it yet to say first hand that it has more holding power (although I'm pretty sure it does) but the way it sets is amazing.

With the Delta, there was always a routine in many bottoms of giving the rode a few jerks to coak the rather blunt point in and be sure it was started. This was followed by backing down and hanging around on deck a while watching shore marks when the wind or current was strong.

With the Mantus, the drill is to get the rode cleated before the boat takes up the slack because there will usually be a "twang" and hard snub if wind or current get the boat moving and you wouldn't want your fingers under the rode. Sometimes, it seems to be set before I even get all the chain on the bottom.

Watch, this is the anchor I'll finally drag ashore with someday because it's hard to remain proper vigilance when it grabs so well. I already find myself just letting it down and heading for the refreshments.

I would expect a Rocna to behave similarly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook