SailNet Community - View Single Post - What Is A Boat Really Worth?
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: What Is A Boat Really Worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Julie,

So how is the boat search comming.

Dave
Been having problems logging in...

To answer your question Dave, we sure have learned a lot but we won't be going home with a boat. It's more the two person decision making process than the boats. One boat I seriously considered making an offer, we had to pass on so my SO could get a better idea of the other boats. A couple days after we saw it, it was listed as "Sale Pending." But I'm okay with that. As we looked at more boats we both agreed Tartan deserved a closer look. I had never been on a Tartan before this trip.

Our first boat was a Sabre 38 that was advertised as "turnkey" and in "perfect condition." Once we actually saw it, "storm damaged" and "neglected" described it better. The broker seemed unfazed about the discrepancy in advertising.

The majority of brokers were good though, and when asked the hard questions didn't try to skirt the obvious answer in an attempt to sell us on the boat.

We dealt directly with two owners and both were very upfront and honest about their boats. One even went so far as to take us on his inflatable and show us each and every scratch on the hull. Had he not pointed them out, I would have never seen them. The brokers pretty much let us find the flaws and address the ones we felt might be an issue.

The East coast is like a boat mall. That's what drew us here. That, and the fact we have a good friend in CT we haven't seen in a couple of years. We're heading home tomorrow. No regrets.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook