SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choosing the Perfect Boat
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Choosing the Perfect Boat

As you are probably starting to see, just as the boat suggestions reflect the personalities of the people making the suggestion, the choice of the perfect boat is heavily dependent on the personality of your characters, and the personality of the sailing masters your character learned from.

And the choice of the boat, is heavily dependent on the departure time of year and the choice of route. As was noted, if I had to sail a smallish boat to Micronesia from Marseille, I would head for the northern coast of South America using the diurnal winds on the South American coast to get past the duldrums, and then head to South Africa around Cape Horn. I would then stay south and jump to Australia or even New Zealand, before going on to Micronesia.

Going that route takes one kind of boat. Going the opposite direction takes a very different boat. It also says something about the crew. Going the Cape Horn route says you have a serious experienced crew trying to get somewhere fast, the boat would be optimized for the beating it will take along the way. Going the other way says you have 'tourists' who want to take in the scenery along the way.

And while the heading west route can be done in a sub-40 footer that is island hoping in tourist mode, it would be hard to do in serious fast sailing mode in a boat that small. If your characters are serious sailors, concerned with time spent en-passage, and are trying to do this in very big hops as you suggest, then the boat probably needs to be in mid-40 foot range, and comparatively light for its length.

Then again, this response reflects my personality as you probably can see.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-18-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff_H For This Useful Post:
DeeB (08-18-2013)