SailNet Community - View Single Post - Delta Anchor won't set.
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Delta Anchor won't set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner62 View Post
I'm just about to deep-six a 20kg (44lb) Delta anchor I bought less than 6 months ago. I bought it to replace the 20kg Danforth which was on the boat when I bought her. At the time I read a bunch of reviews and it seemed like the Delta was a good choice.

Since then I've literally dragged the thing from Cadiz to Sardinia. It WILL NOT SET, even in the best anchoring sand and mud bottoms. It just does not dig. Every time I dive on it, it's lying on its side (always the same side).

Doesn't seem to matter whether I try to set it fast, slow, long scope, short scope whatever.

On my other boat (similar size), I have a stainless 15kg Bruce, and it has always set, first time every time. So, I'm pretty confident it's not my technique.

The Delta was purchased from a chandlery in Cadiz, but is not a Lewmar branded product. I'm thinking it may just be a bad copy?

Has anyone ever experienced this kind of problem?

And, not wanting to start an argument :-), any suggestions on what to replace it with ?

Cheers
Dean
I have sailed several boats with Lewmar Delta and it is an anchor very easy to set. If it is not a Lewmar it is not a Delta.

The problem with a Delta is not to set the anchor (very easy) but the holding power that is bigger than a Bruce but three times less than with a Rocna or a Spade.

Throw it away and buy a decent anchor. Best investment you can have in a boat. Mine come with a Lewmar delta. Sold it for 100 euros and bought a Spade that is several times more expensive. If a Delta fits your bow roller a Spade will fit too.

On the two last nights I was on anchor on a bay, taking refuge from the Meltemi with wind topping over 35K and I felt very happy with the decision to sell the Delta at least than half price and the 400 euros that cost me the Spade have already been recovered over many nights at anchor, feeling and being safe.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 08-18-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook