SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking to sail again! Need some advice
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013

EriCS is on a distinguished road
Looking to sail again! Need some advice

Hello members, I'm interested in sailing again and purchasing my own vessel in the near future. To give you my background I sailed with my step father as a child a bit and was fortunate to gain interest in my late twenties until my he passed a few years ago. I am currently 32 with a job that provides decent and allows me to have free time considering I have a rotating schedule which includes night shifts. In more depth I sailed weekends and did some club racing on his boat with him for about 3-4 years. Before he passed away I started to take his boat (30 ft Saber) out with some friends on small sails. The body of water was the Long Island right outside of City Island. I have also attended a Power Squadron course years ago that taught me basic seamanship and navigation skills. I am definitely interested in freshening up considering its been about 5 years since I sailed.
My questions are what do you recommend me purchasing? I was looking at J24's but am second guessing them due to their difficulties in sailing solo. I figured there definitely not as comfortable of a boat to take friends and the wife out either considering their design and that there wet. I considered c&c's, Pearson, or a tartan as a possible choice.. I am not really interested in mass produced boats and am looking in the 25-28' range. I would like something that's strong, fast, and comfortable when it needs to be. Something I can fit 4-6 people and sail solo. As far as price I would like to spend around 7/k range give or take a few. I have always been handy and also am an electrician by trade and would like to save by purchasing something that needs a little tlc but nothing that's a can of worms. I don't have any experience repairing boats but there a lot of resources available. I read up on how to repair delaminates decks and hulls and I really think I can do it without much trouble, I will learn as I go.

In regards to cost of owning a boat I am pretty much green on. I would like to have it on a mooring on the sound instead of a slip to save some cash. What would a boat like this cost to have on a mooring? How about winter storage and hauling? What could I expect to spend a annual maintenance? Obviously a boat that needs some work will need some spending but I am aware of that. I am curious about general maintenance annually or an average cost for a boat in that size. What other recommendations? I also considered j22 as a day sailor and maybe trailering it. I obviously would have little space on that boat and in my driveway but I assume it would be cheaper all around to sail it. Suggestions or advice welcome!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook