SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking to sail again! Need some advice
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2013
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking to sail again! Need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriCS View Post
My questions are what do you recommend me purchasing? ...
Welcome to SailNet. You will probably get a lot of suggestions but in the end it is an extremely personal decision. You mention a wife. I highly suggest that you find out if she is interested in being an active sailing partner. You'd be surprised at the number of men who have this dream and don't even think to ask. If she is for it, let her be part of the decision process so that she is also informed and has a say in what boat features you decide on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriCS View Post

In regards to cost of owning a boat I am pretty much green on. I would like to have it on a mooring on the sound instead of a slip to save some cash. What would a boat like this cost to have on a mooring? How about winter storage and hauling? What could I expect to spend a annual maintenance? Obviously a boat that needs some work will need some spending but I am aware of that. I am curious about general maintenance annually or an average cost for a boat in that size. What other recommendations? I also considered j22 as a day sailor and maybe trailering it. I obviously would have little space on that boat and in my driveway but I assume it would be cheaper all around to sail it. Suggestions or advice welcome!
Decide on your size range then locate marinas online where you want to have your base. Most of them these days post their slip fees and base labor costs on their websites.

As for annual maintenance, no real way to determine that cost until you figure out how close to a project your boat is. The better the previous owner took care of it, the less your immediate repair costs and subsequently your maintenance costs will be.

A trailerable boat is usually the least expensive as far as storage is concerned. When we had our 22 footer we kept it in a slip and the marina stored it on its trailer over the winter. I hated actually trailering the boat so I left it at the marina.

Best of luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook