SailNet Community - View Single Post - 43DS cutter conversion
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007

shuttersailor is on a distinguished road
Hello Again,

You make good points... I have a storm tracker.... works but is one hell of a fight to get it on! I have some new input from a combination of design person and UK sails.... The net result is:
1) don't dis your shoal keel...it will serve you well in the pacific
2) if you want to improve upwind performance especially in high wind, put real sails on your boat. New fabrics and carbon strands have revolutionized sailmakers ability to keep both jib and main flat and in shape with deep roller furling, while reducing weight aloft by 30% to 50%. All this combines to keep the boat on its feet with full jib and main reefed up to 40% (???) in winds up to 30 kts to windward and 35-40 downwind. Big claims!
3) A staysail is appropriate for an ofshore boat, for storm conditions...and lead the sheets on a traveler forward of the mast or to current or new deck tracks...not the cabin roof. Just keep it lower than 15 % angle...10% is better.
4) all think that a watertight bulkhead just aft of the chainlocker is beneficial to the boat in general and the right way to support the inner stay.

We will see...I will be on the boat with all these guys the first week in February to make final decision. I will let you know how it all turns out.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT...it helped focus the argument!

Shuttersailor
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook